Huttonian has been asked by a bloggee to makesure that I am not adding to rumour and counter rumour-so:
AILEEN ORR’S CLAIMS ARE DENIED BY SCOTTISH BORDERS COUNCIL
On Saturday (13 November) Aileen Orr, on behalf of the Hutton
Parents Action Group, issued a press release claiming that they had been told by Leona Bendall that we are planning to re route their school bus to avoid having to secure Scottish Executive support for the closure. (SBC agreed on Thursday to seek Scottish Executive approval to close both Hutton and Burnmouth schools).
The press release is wrong on every single point.
Scottish Borders Council understands that parents are upset and very disappointed by the Council decision but this claim by the Action Group is simply wrong. We think it has arisen because of Chinese whispers and misunderstanding of the process.
Regrettably the Action Group did not seek to establish the truth of this rumour with either Scottish Borders Council or the Scottish Executive before issuing their statement.
The facts are that in a conversation with the Scottish Executive on Friday morning to clarify the timescale for sending them the paperwork to enable them to consider the decision. Education officials were asked what route has been used in deciding the matter needed to be referred to the Minister.
The Act actually says that when measuring the distance for referral to Scottish Ministers, the distance should be by the shortest route to school. But in the case of Hutton the SE were informed that SBC had used the longer route to avoid a ford. This was accepted by the Scottish Executive.
Scottish Borders Council had told parents from the very start of the process back in October 2003, that final approval from the Scottish Executive would be necessary. Scottish Executive intends to consider this request, together with SBC's request to close Burnmouth school in due course - a decision on both schools can be expected in the New Year.
Throughout this process, SBC has acted with absolute integrity and it is ridiculous to suggest that any Authority would take an approach or do anything that might put children in danger.
We have this afternoon (Sunday) informed Hutton school board of the truth behind this ridiculous rumour to avoid any unnecessary concerns.
ends ___________________________________ Page 1 of 1
All I can say that I got my gen from a senior source who had been directly in contact with the SBC educational dept-immediately after Thurdays meeting at St Boswells. This was before the Action Group statement
Next rant from Norn Iron. Its safer.